#FlashbackFriday - Chelsea v Everton: Part Two - 1964 to 1979 

(Part One covering 1908 to 1964 can be found here)

In November 1964, ahead Everton’s visit to Stamford Bridge for the 1964/65 season, Chelsea were one point behind leaders Man United in the table.  Everton in contrast were languishing in tenth place.  The Toffees poor form was to continue after a 5-1 win for Chelsea was captured by the ITN cameras, with goals for Bobby Tambling, Bert Murray, Barry Bridges and two goals for George Graham.  By the end of March 1965, Everton had climbed to eighth while Chelsea topped the old First Division.  The Blues however were held to a 1-1 draw with Everton.  For Chelsea however, two wins from their last seven games meant that the championship was squandered and Man United proceeded to clinch the 1964/65 title.

The following September, Everton’s visit to Stamford Bridge would again be captured by ITN.  On target for Chelsea would be George Graham, Barry Bridges and Terry Venables, as Chelsea ran out 3-1 winners.  By February 1966, Chelsea lay in sixth position and twelve points off of League leaders Liverpool with four games in hand.  Everton on the other hand were languishing in mid-table.  The Toffees however dented Chelsea’s title hopes with a 2-1 win.  By the end of that calendar year, Chelsea and Everton would play the first of four consecutive 1-1 draws at Stamford Bridge.  Goals for Tony Hateley for Chelsea (father of future England forward and Arsene Wenger’s first signing for Monaco – Mark Hateley) and for Everton’s Alex Young meant honours even.

By April 1967, ninth placed Everton were just three points behind Chelsea in sixth.  A 3-1 win for Everton with two goals for Joe Royle pushed the Toffees within one point of the West London side with three games in hand.  By the close of the season, Everton had overhauled Chelsea finishing sixth.  Chelsea meanwhile finished 1966/67 in ninth place.  The following October ahead of Everton’s visit to Stamford Bridge, neither of the two sides were in good form.  Chelsea were languishing in nineteenth place having won just two games out of eleven which resulted in Tommy Docherty’s exit from Stamford Bridge with Ron Suart standing in as caretaker boss.  Everton meanwhile stood in ninth place having won just five games from eleven.     

Goals for former Arsenal star (transferring in a part-exchange with George Graham) Tommy Baldwin for Chelsea and future Arsenal star Alan Ball for Everton meant one apiece for the second time in two years, captured again by Match of the Day. 

By April 1968, ahead of Chelsea’s visit to Goodison Park, Everton were in sitting in fifth place, while Chelsea (now managed by Dave Sexton) were five points behind in ninth place.  Goals for Howard Kendall and John Hurst meant a 2-1 win for Everton, while Peter Osgood was on target for Chelsea from the penalty spot.  Everton and Chelsea finished 1967/68 in fifth and sixth place respectively.  In 1968/69, Everton visited Stamford Bridge again in September and would be covered again by the BBC’s Match of the Day.  The two sides played out the third 1-1 draw in a row, with a penalty from Peter Osgood for Chelsea, while John Morrissey would be on target for Everton.

By late March 1969, when Chelsea visited Goodison Park, Everton stood in fourth place.  Four points behind in fifth had been Chelsea, but having played four more games.  Chelsea left Merseyside with both points for the first time in thirteen years after goals from Alan Birchenall and Ian Hutchinson gave Chelsea a 2-1 win, while Joe Royle was on target for Everton.  Despite this, Everton finished 1968/69 in third place, with Chelsea seven points behind in fifth.  The following season would be a successful one for both sides, with Everton visiting Stamford Bridge in mid-November 1969.  Ahead of the visit, Everton were six points clear at the top of the table while Chelsea stood ten points behind in seventh place.  A fourth 1-1 draw on the trot would be captured by LWT’s ‘The Big Match’. 

By the end of March Everton were still atop of the table with just five games left to play, though the gap over second place Leeds United was just three points while the Yorkshire side had a game in hand.  Chelsea by now had climbed up to third place in the table, though were eight points behind the leaders.  Two weeks prior, the West London side secured their place in the 1970 FA Cup Final, after hammering Watford 5-1 at White Hart Lane.  Sadly, though the match between Everton and Chelsea on Easter Saturday 1970 would not be caught by the TV cameras.

After a calamitous 0-3 defeat at home in the Merseyside derby to Liverpool, Everton boss Harry Catterick had barred the TV cameras from Goodison as to avoid opposition managers analysing Everton’s style of play.  The TV cameras would miss a corker between the two sides, as Howard Kendall gave the Toffees the lead after 14 seconds. Alan Ball added a second for the Toffees four minutes later.  John Royle added another to put Everton three up by half time.  After the break another for Joe Royle and one for Alan Whittle meant that Everton were five goals up just a few minutes before the hour mark.  Chelsea made the score line slightly more respectable with goals for John Dempsey and Peter Osgood, however Everton would grab two points with an emphatic 5-2 win.

The following Wednesday, Everton seized the 1969/70 title with a 1-0 win over West Brom, while just over a month on, Chelsea would seize the FA Cup with a 2-1 defeat over Leeds United in the first FA Cup Final to end in a replay since 1912.  Both sides therefore started the 1970s with bright optimism, however, that decade would see a decline for both sides with regard to their prominence within the English game.  The two sides were to meet at the start of 1970/71 season for the Charity Shield.  Everton would achieve only their second post-war win at Stamford Bridge, as the Toffees secured a 2-1 victory.  Alan Whittle and Howard Kendall were on target for Everton, while Ian Hutchinson would pull one back for Chelsea.

Two and a half weeks later, Everton would return to Stamford Bridge.  However their failure to pick up a win their in the league continued as the two sides played out a 2-2 draw, with goals for John Dempsey and Keith Weller for Chelsea, Jimmy Husband and Joe Royle would be on target for Everton.  By Mid-January 1971, when Chelsea came to visit Goodison Park, Everton’s defence of the title was extremely underwhelming with the Toffees languishing in thirteenth position.  Chelsea on the other hand fared better in fifth place, albeit nine points off of league leaders Leeds United.  Everton however overturned poor form with a 3-0 victory, secured by goals for Jimmy Husband, Henry Newton and Joe Royle.

The Second game into the 1971/72 season saw Chelsea visit Goodison Park again.  Everton ran out 2-0 winners, with both goals coming from Colin Harvey.  On 5th January 1972, the strain of a declining Everton side took its toll on long standing Everton boss Harry Catterick, who suffered a heart attack.  While he was recuperating, Chelsea enacted their revenge for the defeat the previous August with a 4-0 win at Stamford Bridge with goals for John Dempsey, John Hollins and two for Peter Osgood, which pushed Chelsea up to ninth in the table, while Everton were languishing in fifteenth place. 

In 1972/73, Everton endured their third season in a row with a bottom half finish.  Two days before Christmas 1972, when the two sides met at Stamford Bridge Everton stood in fifteenth place while Chelsea were eight points from the top in fifth place. 

The two sides played out yet another 1-1 draw with Ian Hutchinson on target for Chelsea and Joe Harper scoring for Everton.  


By the following April, Everton were languishing in seventeenth place and five points off of the drop zone.  On 7th April, after just two league wins since the turn of the year, Catterick was persuaded by the Everton board to accept the role of non-executive director, while Coach Tom Eggleston took over as caretaker manager until the end of the season.  Egglestone however lost his first two games in charge, conceding eight goals in the process.  Meanwhile, Chelsea had sunk to just one point above them in fifteenth having lost their last four league games and having a poor run of form after Arsenal knocked them out of the FA Cup at the Quarter Final stage.


Chelsea’s misery continued after a Howard Kendall goal gave Everton both points and Tom Eggleston his first win at Goodison Park.  Everton however were to finish the 1972/73 season in seventeenth, while after winning their last three games Chelsea pushed back up to twelfth place.  By 1973/74, when the two sides met in November, Everton had climbed to third place after replacing long serving manager Harry Catterick with future Northern Ireland boss Billy Bingham.  Chelsea however were struggling in seventeenth place, having won just four games out of fourteen.  Chelsea’s 3-1 win over the Toffees however turned their form around with goals from Tommy Baldwin and two for Peter Osgood.

By the following March when Chelsea visited Goodison Park, the West London side climbed to tenth place while Everton were in sixth.  The two sides played out what would be the first of three straight 1-1 draws.  By October 1974, after three straight defeats Chelsea boss Dave Sexton was dismissed after seven years in the role.  By the time of Chelsea’s visit to Goodison Park that month, the Blues had sunk to seventeenth place, Everton on the other hand were two points off of the top in fourth.  Goals for Gary Jones for Everton and Charlie Cooke for Chelsea meant honours even.  By Late April 1975, when Everton came to Stamford Bridge on the final day of the season, the Toffees had been involved in the race for the Championship which had just been sown up by Dave Mackay’s Derby County stealing the title.   

Chelsea on the other hand – now managed by Eddie McCreadie - were in deep trouble, standing second from bottom of the table though on level points with Tottenham Hotspur (whom they lost to at White Hart Lane a week prior) just above the drop zone, who visited Arsenal at Highbury (themselves languishing in seventeenth place).  Chelsea took the lead over Everton with a goal from Ray Wilkins, the Toffees however pulled one back with a goal from Bob Latchford.  Over at Highbury, Arsenal did their part by beating Spurs 1-0 with a goal from Brian Kidd.  Chelsea however couldn’t improve on their score of 1-1 to ensure their safety and lay one place above the drop zone having completed their fixtures, with Spurs one point behind with a game left to play at home to a Leeds United side who would be challenging Bayern Munich in the European Cup Final exactly one month later. 

A thumping 4-2 win for Spurs over Leeds United however ensured Tottenham’s safety and consigned Chelsea to the drop to the old Second Division.  It would be another two and a half years before the two sides met again at Stamford Bridge in December 1977.  The Toffees were now managed by Gordon Lee and sat in second place behind leaders Nottingham Forest.  Chelsea on the other hand – now managed by Ken Shellito - were in seventeenth place having won just four games out of seventeen.  Chelsea’s misery continued after a goal from Bob Latchford gave the Toffees a 1-0 win – their first in the league at Stamford Bridge for twenty three years.  Chelsea’s first visit to Goodison Park for nearly three and a half years came on the final Saturday of the season in April 1978.


Chelsea were in seventeenth place, but only two points clear of the drop zone.  Everton meanwhile were in second place, but unable to catch Champions Nottingham Forest who were eight points clear with two games in hand.  Everton had high hopes of a rare season of finishing above Liverpool, though the Reds were one point behind with three games left to play.  One interesting side issue to an otherwise meaningless game for Everton would be that the Daily Express - in recognition of the fact that no one player had scored over thirty goals in a season for six years – had put up a prize of £10,000 (then a lot of money for a footballer) to any player who broke that barrier in 1977/78.


Everton’s Bob Latchford stood just two goals behind that landmark ahead of the final game with Chelsea at Goodison Park.  Bob Latchford had promised to split the £10,000 between his team mates as well as well as the Everton ground staff and the PFA Benevolent Fund.  The Toffees raced into a three goal lead with Billy Wright, Martin Dobson and Neil Robinson on the scoresheet, but crucially none yet for Latchford.  Bob finally bagged one to put Everton four goals up. Everton skipper Mike Lyons added a fifth for the Toffees, though as Lyons would state: ‘I tucked the ball into the bottom corner and turned away to celebrate, but because I had failed to knock the ball back to Latch, who was in a great position, everybody just stood and looked at me!...It must be the only time I’ve scored at Goodison and felt sick about it!’.

Lyons asked referee Peter Willis to disallow it and award a penalty instead so that Bob Latchford take it and reach his landmark thirtieth goal.  The ref refused, though a penalty was awarded not long after, which Latchford duly dispatched for his thirtieth of the season, which gave Everton a 6-0 win. The Everton fans - starved of success and in the shadow of their mighty neighbours across Stanley Park who were reigning European Champions – reacted with elation and invaded the pitch (as seen from the pic at the top of this page).  Liverpool however overhauled their Mersey neighbours to finish second, while Everton had to make do with third (though this was their best finish since winning the title in 1970). The Toffees also finished as top scorers in the old First Division with 76 goals in 42 fixtures.

Chelsea on the other hand teetered on the brink of relegation as a result of this heavy defeat, though a 2-0 victory for Liverpool away at Upton Park meant that West Ham faced the drop instead and the Blues survived in the top flight for another season.  On the opening day of the 1978/79 season (Everton’s Centenary year), the Toffees visited Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea.  A 1-0 away win for the Toffees would be captured by LWT’s ‘The Big Match’, with a goal from Andy King securing the points. 

In early November, it would be Chelsea’s turn to visit Goodison Park in the league.  After thirteen games, Everton stood in second place behind neighbours Liverpool in the table.  Chelsea on the other hand would be in twentieth position having won just two games from thirteen.


Chelsea took the lead with a goal from former Toffee Duncan McKenzie on his return to Goodison Park, which was greeted with applause from the home fans in acknowledgement of their former Goodison favourite.  Andy King however equalised for Everton on twenty one minutes.  A goal from Tommy Langley restored Chelsea’s lead two minutes into the second half, which they kept until the last twenty minutes before two goals from Martin Dobson gave Everton a 3-2 win, keeping up the pressure on Liverpool at the top of the table.  By the end of the 1978/79 season however, Everton would finish the season in fourth place – a good seventeen points off of their runaway neighbours across Stanley Park.


Chelsea in the meantime went from bad to worse and ended the season rock bottom of the old first Division, consigned to relegation after a 2-5 away defeat to Arsenal at Highbury on Easter Saturday 1979.  There would be no quick return to the top tier for Chelsea, who would not achieve promotion to the old First Division again until 1984.  The story of this fixture post-1984 will be covered in Part three of this series.